Library Aide Posting:
We are seeking someone who is a quick thinker, possesses a broad perspective of library services, and has the ability and desire to serve all ages. We want someone who has the initiative to assist and work with the entire community, switching gears from leading a busy preschool storytime to conducting adult reference.
The position is a part-time 18 hours, to include evenings and Saturdays (with no exceptions. The compensation is $18.79 per hour.
Ability to deliver excellent customer service in a library setting desired. Comfort and experience presenting programs to all ages, necessary.
Employment applications are available on-line on the town’s website and must accompany each submission.
Submit applications to Library Director, Dover Town Library by 5:00p.m. March 10, 2017
Library Aide Job Description:
The Library Aide performs outstanding customer service to patrons of all ages and duties relating to the circulation of library materials; assists with processing all materials; shelves materials and work on displays and other related work, as required.
The essential functions or duties listed below are illustrations of the type of work performed. The omissions of specific statements of duties do not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Perform outstanding customer service to patrons of all ages relating to circulation desk duties; check materials in and out; provide library cards; provide museum passes; advise patrons of monies owed and collect fines for overdue or lost materials
- Respond to inquires and provide assistance to all library patrons either in person, over the phone or via technology; assist patrons to find materials on the shelf or through interlibrary loans or via electronic databases; assist patrons with MLN holds and requests
- Provide basic reference services and assist patrons to locate materials and use services, including assistance with computers and all technology; assist patrons with use of automated card catalog
- Maintain the library collection by shelving and processing materials; prepare materials for circulation; assist in weeding materials
- Assists with displays
- Provides readers’ advisory for all ages
- Perform basic electronic troubleshooting
- Work collaboratively as an effective team member communicating and contributing to the success of the library regarding services, programs and community
- Perform other similar and related duties, as required or as situation dictates
Works under the general supervision of the Head of Children’s Services, Head of Adult Services and the Library Director, following established rules, regulations and policies; independently completes assigned tasks according to prescribed time schedules; refers some issues to supervisor.
- Work is performed in library conditions; work is affected by seasonal fluctuations, such as the school calendar; regular schedule requires nights and weekend hours.
- The employee has regular contact with other employees, with other libraries, library patrons, community groups and vendors.
- The employee has access to patron records and personnel information that are subject to confidentiality.
- Errors could result in delay of service to patrons or poor public relations.
Recommended Minimum Qualifications:
Education and Experience:
- College degree, job related course work preferred; or an equivalent combination of education and experience necessary.
Knowledge, Ability and Skill:
- Knowledge of library policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of automated circulation systems and information technology
- Ability to relate well to and interact tactfully and appropriately with library staff, patrons, prioritize tasks
- Solid experience working with the public of all ages
- Broad knowledge of gaming, popular social networking, books and literature, including children’s and Young Adult literature desirable
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with ability to make group presentations, dedication to customer service
- Strong organizational skills follow through and attention to detail
Moderate physical effort is required to perform most duties; the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, speak and hear, use hands to operate equipment, climb, stoop, reach with hands and arms to lift and move furniture and equipment. Vision requirements include the ability to read documents and use a computer.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer, as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change